My latest obsession!

I have been knitting for years, and have my usual "go to" patterns for creating certain items. However, I recently started to think I needed to expand my skills, so began looking for other options for knitted blankets.  I have done many of the standard corner to corner ones, and the 155 stitch ones, and a few variations of each of those.  Some time ago, I had downloaded a pattern for a mitred square Modular blanket.  I tried, and I have to say,unsuccessfully, to master this new skill, and in frustration threw it aside and went back to my "tried and true" patterns.

However, it always played on my mind that I never actually mastered the skill.  So, with yarn and needles firmly in hand I determined to try again!

This is the pattern I was using,  I do not claim it as my own, and I thank the original writer for her hard work in producing it!   Mitred Square Blanket Pattern

Having finally fathomed the depths of  this style of blanket creation, I have a few pointers to add which hopefully may help you.  I have read the comments and questions on the original blog, and it seems that may knitters encountered the same problem I did!  You follow the pattern and create your first four squares, but WHERE do you go after that???  The pattern does not give any clue!  BUT when you finally "see"  it all becomes very clear!

A few points to remember before you start:

1. The pattern does not make sense until you TRY it!

2. Once you begin, ALWAYS mark the right side of your work - this is crucial

3. Always use a marker for the centre!  (this makes more sense once you begin)


Once you have followed the pattern and created your first four squares - where you go from there is up to you, which is why the pattern does not go on!

However, some things to note at this point!

You can go up or you can go across, you just have to know which "square" goes where!

In this diagram you can see - some squares go on the outside and some on the inside. Once you understand this, it is easier to see where to proceed.




I know it looks complicated, but once you actually start creating your blanket it becomes much clearer.  Mind you, having said that, I still have to stop, lay the work out and figure out where to go and which square to make!

So make your first four squares following the pattern, then stop and lay it out and look at it. Position it the same as this diagram with your first square (which of course you have marked with a safety pin or something similar) Now you can see that all squares on the lower portion are knitted one way and all squares that 'fill in" the centre of your blanket are knitting another way.  This will become clearer once you are at this point.

I have tried to figure out a way of writing this up that would be clearer, but the more I tried the more complicated it got!  The only help I can offer is make your first four squares, then have another look at this diagram! 

Always mark your centre of each square and always mark right side!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and I will do my best to answer for you.  You can contact me on Facebook Messenger via the icon at the right of the screen on this page.








Comments